Earth bonding in shower

Reaction score
I am replacing an electric shower. The old one was connected to the mains-pressure cold water supply by a soldered double elbow and tap-connector which was enclosed within the front cover. The double elbow provided space for an earth-bond clamp with a wire to the Earth connection of the electrics.

The new electric shower has limited space and has a plastic pipe for a compression fitting, so I unsoldered the old double elbow. This leaves an inch of copper pipe sticking out of a hole in the wall. I fitted a compression elbow. This does not leave any room for an earth bond clamp.

The 15mm copper pipe rises up through a stud wall into the loft through a 25mm hole in the wood where it rises a foot and then joins an isolation valve. There is room there for an earth clamp but running a bonding wire back would probably be impossible without breaking a hole in the plasterboard on the other side of the stud wall.

Photos (I'm too new here to be allowed to post proper links):
  • Old double elbow i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/redgrittybrick/P1030044.jpg
  • New shower unit i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/redgrittybrick/P1030043.jpg
  • New elbow front i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/redgrittybrick/P1030048.jpg
  • New elbow top i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/redgrittybrick/P1030049.jpg

Since the pipework is fully enclosed in the plastic shower cover does it count as an exposed-conductive-part – “a conductive part of equipment which can be touched and which is not a live part but which may become live under fault conditions”

How do I meet BS7671:2001?

TAB

Reaction score
You could clamp in the loft and run a 4mm earth cable to the pull switch (if you have one).

Ask a Question