Dripping from the Dry Verge Driving me Insane!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry If a similar query has already been asked on this forum.

I have been living in a new build for almost 2 years (Gleeson homes) and have had an ongoing battle with the builder over a specific issue. To be honest they've been brilliant with other issues but find ourselves at a stalemate with this one hence why I'm looking out for some advice with my initial 2 year warranty running out.

When it rains, I find the water dripping from above onto my window sills causing a heavy thudding noise. It drives me absolutely insane when trying to sleep. After looking at the windows affected, it's only the windows that are on the gable end and therefore under a dry verge as opposed to the areas which have a flat roof and Gutter. The heavy drips seem to be coming from the dry verge and thudding onto the window sill. The builder said there's nothing they can really do and apart from the annoying noises there's no damage being caused.

I've attached pictures of how this has been almost assembled and wondered if anyone sees some obvious issues which are causing this which I can therefore let the builder know.

Thanks in advance.
20230417_171023.jpg
20230417_171031.jpg
20230417_171205.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the only suggestion I can make is to "join" the verge blocks with tape from the lower edge so that rain can run to the lowest one, and not collect at the lowest point of each block, which is leading to the dripping you are experiencing. Brown colured parcel tape is the nearest colour match, and should provide some solution to this problem. Not necessarily a pretty solution, but it's cheap and should work!

Reaction score
Nice pictures, but as the builder rightly says, not a lot you can do about, or probably doesn't want to do about it. It's a design fault and that's that.

All those nice joints and pointy bits are where water is going to exit the verges.

traditional bargeboards in timber may or may not have a drip edge that spreads the water load.

As Mrreliableone says, you need to get rid of the drip points above your window if it's driving you mad.

I don't think parcel tape or any other tape is going to last long.

The only way you are going to stop that is to make the offending section have a smooth edge for the water to run down.

You can get all sorts of plastic sections and you might find a colour that matches but unlikely. Clear or transparent would be better.

Glue it along the bottom edge in one piece and use a clear construction grade silicone or one of the non-silicones like Geocel The Works or Sika EBT.

Ask a Question