Does this sound right

Reaction score
It takes two circuit breakers to keep one light on - just one, but it is on a 3-way switch. The light and both switches are in the bathroom. The two three way switches that turn on the light are only 6 feet apart.

For discussion, let one circuit breaker be the A breaker and the other be the B breaker.
If A is on and B is on, there is full voltage across the terminals of the light.
If A is on and B is off, the light comes on.
If A is off and B is on, the light will not come on.

I didn't know that light's wiring was messed up (or if it is) until had to disconnect a wall outlet in the adjacent bedroom.

I could not get any voltage at the light socket until I connected two white wires and two black wires in the adjacent bedroom's wall outlet. I would not have known enough to check that bedroom outlet until I discovered that a wire (big white cable containing a white, black and copper wire) led from one of 3-way switches in the bathroom, up and over the shower and down to that outlet in the bedroom.

Finally, at the light in the bathroom, there is a red wire in addition to the black and white wires. That red wire shows continuity (using the VOM's ohm meter) with one of the white wires but not the others. I did not fully investigate this red wire and maybe if I toggled the 3 way wall switches it would show continuity with the other white wire. But also there is a tiny trickle as indicated by the vom showing very tiny voltage between some other extra wires. I believe this trickle is between one of the white wires and red wire in the light's electrical box, or maybe between a white and the ground. Sorry, but I just don't want to mess with it more than I have to. I am unable to see where the ground goes, but it seems solidly wired to something.

I guess I have explained all this right. It has been pretty confusing. I have been very careful because I am so confused by all this stuff. I double check that the circuit breakers are off when I handle the wires, but sometimes, as with the voltmeter, I have to check with the circuit breakers on! Scary, but I have my wife or older son watch every step as I do it.

We bought the house this way back in 2007. This is the first time I have every worked on any electrical stuff in this house.

Last edited:

Ask a Question