Does Sound Insulation Foam Work?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried sound insulation foam before? I've made good progress at quietening a water pump with flexible hose, but I want to try and go one step further and give sound insulating foam a try, if there's a good chance it may work. I've got a lot of the vibration noise removed, but the mechanical whirring is still there. The pump is boxed in with some ply, but I could line the inside of this with sound insulating foam.

The sheets look quite thin and are pretty expensive, so I don't want to try it unless there's a good chance it may work. Has anyone use this stuff before?

Reaction score
I don't know about foam, but we have soundproof fiberglass insulation here. It is a little more dense than the insulation used for preventing heat transfer and it does a fairly good job at keeping the noise down. Any softish material will absorb some of the sound energy so if the issue is noise rather than vibration, a sound absorbing layer should help if inside the ply box.

It sounds like you have done the harder job of removing vibration. It can be a challenge to isolate a device with few rigid attachments.

Reaction score
Thank you both. I've gotten quite used to the mild purr it makes (comparatively), so I may leave the sound insulation for a while and revisit it when I spot some cheap foam.

That's a good idea about trying a musician forum, I may well do that when the time comes!

Ask a Question