Curtain pole fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to get a metal curtain pole up over the doors in my conservatory. The length is around 8 foot. The problem is that there is an rsj right above the door and I can only drill in for about 20mm. I did put one up, but after few days it's come down. Any ideas to fix it back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @cawright1

2 options for you:

1. If you are drilling directly into the RSJ you must either use a HSS or colbalt drill bit. Both can be sourced for your local hardware store (B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix, Toolstation, etc). Depending on the size of wall plug you are using it's good to go up in stages i.e. 5mm to 8mm to 10mm etc. Also it's worth setting your drill to a slow speed for the job as the holes get bigger.

2. If you don't have to go into the RSJ i.e. there is an airgap between the plasterboard and the the RSJ then I would recommend using "GripIt" fixings. Again very easy to source from local hardware stores. You use a flathead drillbit to go through the plasterboard only and the GripIt does the rest - very easy option. Do a search on the internet and you'll be sure to find these "GripIt" fixings and you'll see why I suggest them.

Hope this helps!
Assembly Ace

Ask a Question