Plugs to replace curtain pole brackets in dot and dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a DIY newbie: I'm replacing curtain pole brackets as our previous brackets have bent under the weight of the curtains. I've removed the old brackets - There weren't any plugs in the wall apart from one very large metal (potentially self-drilling) plug that has left a 10mm hole. The wall is dot and dab.

I need some guidance on how to replace the brackets with the following specific questions:
1. Can I reuse the holes from the previous brackets?
2. Which wall plugs would be best to use? Does it make a difference if I reuse the previous holes vs making new holes?
3. Can I use pollyfilla to fill the larger hole and then reuse it? If so, does that change the type of plug I can use?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be that the person that previous put the bracket up didn’t need wall plugs as there maybe a baton the fix to in the cavity wall. If this is an older property it may have lathe and plaster which should have emitted a black dust when the screws came out. Usually the best way to secure a curtain pole is to screw a baton to the wall roughly the length of the curtain pole using screws with 6 or 8 mm plugs at around 12” intervals. This spreads the weight of the curtain pole and ensures it won’t come down.

Ask a Question