Cooker cabling

Reaction score
hi, can anyone give some clear advice?
We currently have 6mm cooker cable, would this be man enough for a 45amp range cooker?? or a 32amp range cooker.
Nowhere seems to give clear advice. Some convert to kw others say it will work upto 63amp!!!

Confused is not the word!! lol.
If you need more info please ask, and I will try and answer!

Hoping for some clarity and good Advice

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi
Sorry, a straight forward answer isn't easy. Are you in the process of choosing an appliance, and need to know whether you can connect it to the existing cable, or do you have the choice of rewiring ?
The first thing you need to know is the rating of the appliance in watts. The current then is calculated in amps using ohms law. This would be the loading on the cable. It doesn't end there though. The capacity of the cable also depends on it's location in the property. Using a table I have in front of me, if 6mm cable is installed clipped direct it's max load is 47 amps, but enclosed by insulation, it drops to 23.5 amps.
Other factors involve the type of circuit protection you have.
All in all, It would be very wise to consult a qualified electrician, and get him to do the installation. The circuit should be correctly tested for safety, and that's not a DIY job.

Ask a Question