Gas or induction cooker?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hey! First time moving out and want to know which is better. I'm just unsure which is more practical. Thanks!

Reaction score
It's a matter of choice.
How much room have you and for how many will you be catering?
Is there both a gas and electric supply to your home?

We've never had a gas cooker, too messy and hard to clean.

Decades ago we had a traditional UK electric cooker.
Which had an oven, a grill above it and four boiling rings on top of that. (The thought of needing four boiling rings in 2019, wouldn't be considered)

Presently we've a built in Baumatic oven in a tall unit with a cupboard above and two deep drawers below it.

Plus two induction hobs that can be put away in a drawer immediately after use, being given just a wipe down nothing sticks to them. They're "cheap as chips." about £40 in the UK.

A Cook's Essentials hot air fryer (one of these). Doesn't take up much room, sits on a work surface.

cooks.jpg

A toaster and a cheap microwave.

Reaction score
The mention of gas cookers reminds me of an incident in my youth

When we were nineteen, I was "shacked up" with my girlfriend, (we did get married and still are) in a top flat above a café in Shaftesbury Avenue London.
In the flat below us was Tony Hayes of the Fraser Hayes Four and his girl friend (an odd sort of harmony group which appeared on BBC radio programmes, for a while in the sixties, but quickly went out of fashion). They were entertaining as they often rowed. She was a dancer and she occasionally threw pots or pans at him. He stored his double bass in its cover on the landing and on at least two occasions we heard it bouncing after she'd pushed it down a flight of stairs. We didn't like him.
In the bottom flat was Pam, a very attractive divorcee in her thirties who worked as a night club hostess at various West End clubs like, Winston's, The Latin Quarter, Edmundo Ros's etc.,
Not long after we moved in, one Saturday we could smell gas. The flats were all convertions of three rooms off a central staircase, so you had to cross the stairway to move from the lounge to the kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom. Being at the top we often left our doors open when we were in.
I traced the smell down the stairs to the first floor. I couldn't get an answer so I broke in through the old Victorian door, which took some kicking in. I saw Pam sitting in a chair in her bra and pants with two half crowns in her hand ready to feed the meter again, next to the gas stove will all rings on and the oven with the door open.
I don't know if anyone has ever walked into a gas filled room, but it's quite frightening. I was holding my breath but it was affecting my eyes.
I turned off the gas, carried her out, and sat her on the floor of the landing. We then opened all the windows. I don't know how determined she was to kill herself, (she'd just been dumped by her boyfriend, a married Guards Officer). But she could have killed us all.

We got to know her after that. She let us watch her TV while she was working. She never brought blokes home. She came shopping with us on Saturdays and often took us to the Rice Bowl in South Ken. for a meal on Sundays. I guess we were her only friends, as she'd recently come back from South Africa after her divorce. Under their laws at the time, she got nothing out of the divorce.
We moved to our own place after a year. I always wonder what happened to her as we lost touch.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The mention of gas cookers reminds me of an incident in my youth

When we were nineteen, I was "shacked up" with my girlfriend, (we did get married and still are) in a top flat above a café in Shaftesbury Avenue London.
In the flat below us was Tony Hayes of the Fraser Hayes Four and his girl friend (an odd sort of harmony group which appeared on BBC radio programmes, for a while in the sixties, but quickly went out of fashion). They were entertaining as they often rowed. She was a dancer and she occasionally threw pots or pans at him. He stored his double bass in its cover on the landing and on at least two occasions we heard it bouncing after she'd pushed it down a flight of stairs. We didn't like him.
In the bottom flat was Pam, a very attractive divorcee in her thirties who worked as a night club hostess at various West End clubs like, Winston's, The Latin Quarter, Edmundo Ros's etc.,
Not long after we moved in, one Saturday we could smell gas. The flats were all convertions of three rooms off a central staircase, so you had to cross the stairway to move from the lounge to the kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom. Being at the top we often left our doors open when we were in.
I traced the smell down the stairs to the first floor. I couldn't get an answer so I broke in through the old Victorian door, which took some kicking in. I saw Pam sitting in a chair in her bra and pants with two half crowns in her hand ready to feed the meter again, next to the gas stove will all rings on and the oven with the door open.
I don't know if anyone has ever walked into a gas filled room, but it's quite frightening. I was holding my breath but it was affecting my eyes.
I turned off the gas, carried her out, and sat her on the floor of the landing. We then opened all the windows. I don't know how determined she was to kill herself, (she'd just been dumped by her boyfriend, a married Guards Officer). But she could have killed us all.

We got to know her after that. She let us watch her TV while she was working. She never brought blokes home. She came shopping with us on Saturdays and often took us to the Rice Bowl in South Ken. for a meal on Sundays. I guess we were her only friends, as she'd recently come back from South Africa after her divorce. Under their laws at the time, she got nothing out of the divorce.
We moved to our own place after a year. I always wonder what happened to her as we lost touch.
That's really intense. I don't really know what to say after that. I hope she's doing good now. :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It's a matter of choice.
How much room have you and for how many will you be catering?
Is there both a gas and electric supply to your home?

We've never had a gas cooker, too messy and hard to clean.

Decades ago we had a traditional UK electric cooker.
Which had an oven, a grill above it and four boiling rings on top of that. (The thought of needing four boiling rings in 2019, wouldn't be considered)

Presently we've a built in Baumatic oven in a tall unit with a cupboard above and two deep drawers below it.

Plus two induction hobs that can be put away in a drawer immediately after use, being given just a wipe down nothing sticks to them. They're "cheap as chips." about £40 in the UK.

A Cook's Essentials hot air fryer (one of these). Doesn't take up much room, sits on a work surface.

View attachment 2124

A toaster and a cheap microwave.
Just me and my boyfriend. We don't really have a lot of money and it's our first time leaving our parents' homes. We're kind of just looking for ideas. Based on everything that was said, maybe we'll avoid the gas cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Induction cooking is much faster than gas cooking, more safety.
Minus is only that it is more expensive

Reaction score
Country
United States
We recently bought an induction cooktop, and it's very fast. Water boils in the blink of an eye. BUT don't forget (it was our mistake) that your old pans, woks, etc. may not work with this surface.

Reaction score
Yes! all metal pans do not work with induction hobs. You can check with a magnet if it sticks it will work on the induction. So if you are caught off guard ask the shop keeper for a magnet before you buy.

Ask a Question