Concealing an electrical panel?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to DIY remodeling, and I am wondering if someone could please help me figure this out....

I have an electrical panel in my basement that I would like to conceal during. a basement remodel. I would like to put a closet around it. The closet would NOT be for clothing. I just thought it would be the easiest way to conceal and leave room in there to work.

There are actually two panels. We have a Generac generator installed and hard wired into the house. So there is your typical panel and the Generac panel. Together they measure 29 inches wide. The Generac panel sticks out about 2-3 inches more than the other panel.

From what I understand the closet has to allow 36 inches in front of the panel. However I have a window in the adjacent wall that is 34 inches from the front of the Generac box.

I also believe the width has to allow 30 inches from the side of the panel. This part I am not clear on. I was originally planning on 6'x3', but I don't think I have the room to do that because of the required space and my window.

Question 1) Can I squeeze a closet around this and still be within code?

Question 2) Can I just measure off the front of the regular panel, or do I have to measure off of the Generac panel?

Question 3) If not, can I still build some sort of enclosure to hide this panel so this can be an attractive living space?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Do not enclose the electrical .

Do not build a closet around it .

If you need to , hang a picture over it .

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
Enclosing the panel isn’t a great idea, instead cover it with any hanging/art piece or clock.

Reaction score
In fact , here in the USA , it is not legal to put a panel in a closet .

Do not know , on your side of the pond ?

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question