Circuit Breaker Size Limitations for GE Main Panels?

Reaction score
Hello, I am doing some work on property I own, have a permit, will have an electrician look at my work, and then have a formal local inspection. I have a question that will help me prepare for the electrician tomorrow. My project involves work with a GE Powermark Gold Outdoor 150 amp service panel (new). This new main panel will feed the a/c and the 125 amp GE subpanel that lies on the other end of the home (46 ft.) Thus, all of the circuits, with the exception of the a/c, originate at the subpanel and not at the main panel. This set up is all pre-existing. I want to avoid replacing anything that I can be legitimately use according to NEC. Although the subpanel is rated 125 amps, my load calculation is only 74 amps - so adequate ( small,1000 sq. ft. home). Only the a/c and the fan of the furnace is continuous. Most of the residence (heat, range, water heater) is GAS.

My project involves installing the main panel (electricity it off at the transformer) and upgrading the old wiring from the main to the subpanel and installing a 100 amp breaker. I have already laid SEU #2 copper cable (copper is required by local code here) to feed the subpanel. However, I am not sure that the new main panel (GE Model # TM1212RCU1K) can accommodate a 100 amp circuit breaker for the subpanel. I have looked high and low on the internet to answer this question.

My question is: Can I use a 100 amp circuit breaker with #2224 copper SEU cable with my 125 amp GE Powermark main panel - and is anyone familiar with any restrictions on this particular model. If the main panel does have restrictions can you tell me why and let me know if it can be modified by the electrician to be compliant. If not, I will need to return the panel, because if I can't use a 100 amp breaker with this panel I will have to go with 80. I don't want to do this if possible because it will give me little room for any kind of expansion or renovation in the future. Also, if you can suggest a 125 amp main panel that can accommodate a 100 amp breaker for the sub-panel I would appreciate it. (Buy the way, I have already confirmed with the electric company that the service at the transformer is 125 amps.)

I appreciate your expertise. I would ask a local inspector this but our locale does not engage in planning or provide answers to questions for persons doing DIY. Also, I want to mention that I am aware that one option is to put some appliances directly on the main panel but this will involve running wire the full length of the house in a very shallow attic with limited access. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question