Required circuit breaker for a microwave/oven combo?

Reaction score
Looking to replace our existing GE microwave/oven combo. We were looking at a Whirlpool model which specifies a weird number (30.4 amps) so I'm not sure what's expected. This is the actual chart from the manual. Our current breaker for the combo is 30 amps - will that be enough?

Oh, and one other question. Is there a way I can test a basic wall oven to see if it's working without having to connect it to a proper 30 amp circuit? Could I just wire it up to a standard 10 amp circuit for a quick test, like turning it on and putting it on low to see if the elements heat up?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can try the existing circuit. However if the CB pops, it would be wise to switch out the old breaker and put in a 35 amp breaker. Also, check the connector locations to see if they are listed for 75 degrees Celsius. If they are then you can use the existing wire otherwise, you will need to change out the cable to 8/3 AWG.

No, regardless of the duration, you cannot run a 30 amp test over a 10 Amp circuit. Either the breaker will pop or you will damage the insulation on the existing wire (melt).

Ask a Question