Carrier 58STA Rapid Flash and Code 11

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Carrier 58STA (about 6 years old, original install) that has worked very well in those 6 years. This morning I awoke to a cold house (32F outside) with a temp well below the setpoint on the Tstat. I pulled off the blower cover to find the LED with a Rapid Flash, which is supposed to indicate incorrect polarity. I verified the polarity to be correct. After reading a bit, I removed the Tstat red wire to the R terminal, and jumpered (briefly, less than 2 sec) the Twin/Test to the correct terminal to perform the component test. The code displayed was one long, one short (no previous code). Then, each component operated as they should. After completion of the test, I restored everything to it's original condition, re-energized, and set the Tstat to 78 (curr temp 74). The blower started, then stopped after about 90 sec, then the inducer, then the burners lit, etc. Sounds good, eh? The temp moved up to 76 deg (2 less than the setpoint, and shut off. Now, I have the rapid flashing LED again.

The only thing of mention I can recall is it would seem the Blower Motor Speed Change Relay seems to have had some issues. I can recall the blower running (hot or cool temps), the relay clicking, and the motor operating abruptly. It seems to make a bit of a banging sound (no gas involved there, as you might imagine).

Any suggestions? I am at a loss as the polarity is correct, and it throws no other codes. BTW, after the component check, the LED went solid, until the failure. I assumed it worked as a bit of a reset.

Thanks!

Ask a Question