Boarding out bathroom.

Reaction score
Hi, going to be doing complete bathroom soon. I've had various quotes for various jobs. When it came to tiling, the guy told me that he would board the whole bathroom and tile on top. As money is tight I thought I could aave myself a few quid and board it myself. I am aware that I should use MR board as a minimum. However I have two small windows 610 x 1000. Should I board inside the window, the walls are fine in this area. It's no extra effort to do this but not sure if necessary. Also back wall is completely fine as mentioned by tiler so reluctant to do this if it's not really needed. The tiler was going to dab and dot, I've no experience of this so was going to screw directly to wall or batons and spacers where required. Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Boarding makes for an easier and better job for the tiler. (I assume you prefer tiles to plastic coverings...I fitted the latter ten years ago, maintenance free unlike grouted tiles.) If you have major undulations then skimming with plaster (really only for minor undulations) is out. If there are larger undulations then you could use thicker 'bonding coat' to fill large depressions then skim, but getting it flat and true could be a problem....In short, however, dot and dab with 12.5mm boards (obvious thing to say but they are flat!) would be advisable as any depressions beneath your new boards will become weak spots (don't use 9mm boards). It doesn't need to be moisture resistant, just well skimmed and sealed....I love tiles and have done many such jobs but think of the hundreds of metres of grout cleaning in the future ;-)

Reaction score
Hi Dave, thanks for prompt reply. I'm not so keen on the plastic panels as I have never really seen one I like, I do however like the plain Multipanels you can get but they are around £180 per 2400 x 1200. To be honest though by the time i add up tiles to cost of fitting its possibly more than that. Tiling is around £35m2 (assume because of additional work as some walls have had tiles removed and gone back to brick work). The tiles I like are generally around £35-40m2 so not a lot in it if i fitted the panels myself. If i did it would mean I would have to try dot and dab but its the fitting around windows that would have to be very precise with the boards being 1200 (600 and 900 are available). Regarding MR plasterboards, i thought that you tiled direct onto these so no skimming and sealing required?

Ask a Question