Plasterboarding bathroom

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to plasterboard my bathroom for tiles. The bathroom was half tiled before so walls are at different levels. Where the tiles have been removed I have a crumbly grey cement like layer and then brick behind. Tops of walls are ok ish as they were plastered and painted. Another issue is that I have knocked through the toilet to bathroom and the walls are at a different level also. My question is what is best way to go about the job of fitting plasterboard. Should I remove all plaster and crumbly layer right back to brick on all walls and then fit MR plasterboard straight to brick. I would prefer to screw it. I really want the easiest way but dont want to end up with issues later on. Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
I would remove everything and start with a clean brick wall. By doing that you have removed any unknowns that could cause problems in the future. To put up the new board I would use both the screws and DuPont 5200 adhesive. This will give you a good, long lasting surface to work with.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I assume I wouldn't need to put any kind of sealant on brick work?

Reaction score
Any other cheaper recommendations than 5200 as the price is extortionate. Whilst I dont want to cut corners this stuff looks a little over the top to me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking; buy once means don't buy cheap because it usually ends up the most expensive long term. I save a lot of money by doing the work myself so I never ever skimp on materials only buying the best available. As an example; 32 years ago Bron and I replaced our bungalow and two roomed extension roofs; we couldn't afford to get a roofer in and the insurance company refused to pay out so we lived with buckets and bowls for 18 months until we could afford just the materials; during the 18 months I bought a book explaining how to install a new roof and we visited Marley Tile company who very kindly gave us lots of roofing tile information. Our roof has only 12.5 degree pitch and the tiles available at the time for this pitch were Marley Wessex the most expensive tiles; we bought the expensive tiles and also special slip tiles for ridge and verges; we also counter battened in order to lift the tiles clear of the under cloaking allowing extra ventilation. Our roof is still in excellent condition. We did every bit of the work ourselves.

Our former immediate neighbours laughed at us when we said we were going to do the roofing job ourselves thinking it a huge joke. With the new roofs on our neighbours then asked us if we would replace their roofs because the joke was now on them; their roofs also now needed replacing. We politely declined.

I explained to the neighbours about the tile design and why we bought the expensive tiles; they went ahead getting a roofer in and installed cheap plain tiles; the roof continues to leak and our current neighbour won't take advice; she's had roofers in yet again this time the roofers have removed all the roof tiles including ridge and only added new under cloaking replacing the wrong tiles again. How long before she calls the roofers back in?

I appreciate many people don't have much money but neither did we when we had a leaking roof on maximum mortgage unable to borrow another penny; we worked as many hours as we could and I did three jobs a week in order to save the money for the roof materials; buy once and buy the best it usually works out cheapest.

I hope I'm not preaching but I see the results of trying to save money; our neighbours must have their foreign holidays and buy expensive cars but skimp on what is really important.

Kind regards, Colin.

New roof._001_01.JPG

Two weeks ago, our neighbours roof being repaired for the umpteenth time; it should have a zip around it. Note the corner of the felt roof middle of the picture; this has an open split of about 12" long; the roof bounces up and down and covers an expensive kitchen; it's going to be patched up. How strange our neighbour has had a £12,000 lift installed just from her garage into her bedroom; these are bungalows and the lift obviously is more important than the roof. We live on a steep valley side exposed to extremes of weather; when it's pouring with rain and with an high wind coming up the valley the rain will blow straight under the leading edge of the roof tiles with nothing to stop it reaching the under cloaking; our tiles have three ridges to their leading edge to prevent this water ingress.

https://www.marley.co.uk/products/concrete-tiles/wessex

Last edited:

Ask a Question