Best paintable exterior frame sealant?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been fixing a leaking Juliet balcony, as the drain holes in the brass base trim were leaking in to the woodwork. I hadn't realised for the 6 years we've been living here, as it's taken this long for it to become visible. I've repaired the rot and prepared everything for painting, however I'm just about to go and fetch some paintable frame sealant to seal up the job.

I was going to just pick this everbuild frame sealant from Toolstation:

However, I've had problems with cheap acrylic sealants cracking before.

Has anyone got any suggestions for something they can rely on?

Reaction score
Ian, I have no idea what is available in the UK but over here we have DuPont 5200 Sealant. This stuff is justwicked strong and absolutely weather proof. It is so strong we use it as an adhesive on boats. You must wear rubber gloves while applying it or you could possibly glue your fingers together. You have to be sure to put it where you want it because once it cures, it is there for good.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Silentrunning, that looks a little bit like this polyurethane stuff (Puraflex 40) that I've used around our pond:

It does say that it's overpaintable too, so perhaps I'll give this a go. I've got the black and grey tubes already, so I may as well add the white one for Windows to the collection ;).

Ask a Question