Bd155rt drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems I've got the same problem as others with this drill. Starts and works OK if I squeeze the trigger slowly or keep speed on 1 or 2, or don't squeeze all the way to top speed: guessing it's the switch somehow : but keeps stopping even without load.
Can't find a replacement. Others come at half the price of a new drill.
Wondering if anyone had any fix it tips. I've cleaned and sprayed switch with contact cleaner but no different.
Can I replace speed control switch with a basic on/off switch that fits this drill?
Thanks anyway
Ian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I like to repair rather than throw away. Can you remove the switch completely then test it using a DMM (digital multimeter) set on Ohms to determine if it is actually the switch at fault? The fault might be a poor connection or even an intermittent fault in the cable; my old but trusty Bosch drill started to behave strangely and it proved to be the cable where it entered the drill; I removed about 3" from the cable end and reconnected now it's fine again. Are the brushes OK?

Regarding replacing the switch with a different type I'd be very careful indeed; obtaining a switch with correct dimensions would be unlikely; it might work but it might also render the drill dangerous. May I suggest you ask the right people for your answer;

https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/support/contact-us

Contacting B&D directly could save you lots of time and frustration. Good luck Ian.

Years ago I bought a cheap workshop vac and it had a speed control switch this switch was a slider; it stopped working so I investigated; the switch was a variable sliding resistor similar to this one;

1573293376287.png

Dust had entered destroying the track; I believe it was a 100 Ohms; at the time I was doing lots of vintage radio repairs and had thousands of resistors; I bypassed this linear resistor taking it out of circuit and installed an 80 Ohms 2W axial resistor ensuring it was safe. The vac is still in use; I gave it to a friend and he's added a small cyclone it's now used as a dust collector for his bandsaw.

A bit more information; I can highly recommend a novice to buy a DMM and learn how to use it; these can be bought very cheaply for a basic model through eBay; with these cheap models care is needed not to accidentally take voltage readings with it set to resistance (Ohms) or it will be destroyed.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Colin, agree with you. Need to understand about ohms a bit more though. Haven't found b abd d helpful up to now. Only said switch no longer available and couldn't supply a picture of a workmate top so I could refinish my old one.
Would be happy with a simple on off switch replacement. Will keep trying. Cheers
Ian

Ask a Question