Bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I've been getting mold around the tub, and a friend told me that the bathroom fan wasn't eliminating enough moisture. I tried cleaning it, but there's only so much room, maybe an inch and a half, when I pull the cover down. I've removed a lot of built up lint and dust, but I'm afraid to use a vacuum cleaner to suck the rest off the wires and the fan itself, which I can't even see the blades, since I'm afraid that it'll pull the wires apart. The fan is about 50 years old, so I thought maybe I can put a new one in. Then I remembered I had to buy a new range and oven a little over a year ago, and the wiring was so old, I had to get an electrician to put in a modern outlet. So I'm thinking a new bathroom fan would probably be incompatible with the wiring. The fan I've decided on is Air King BFQ 90 Bath Fan, CFM, BFQ90. It's a small bathroom, so this should be more than adequate. I don't know what kind of wiring would be entailed for installation. The current unit is turned off and on with a simple wall switch. Will I have to get an electrician, or will this unit be compatible with the wiring I have? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, your new fan should be compatible with the the old wiring. You will need to search online to check what colours for the old wiring are for which function and interpret accordingly. I’m from the uk and the old live colour was red, now it’s brown for an example. If you’re unsure I would contact an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. I've looked at the wiring schematic for the fan, I downloaded it, and it has 3 wires---one hot and 2 grounds. I haven't taken the switch apart, but I'm pretty sure due to the age of the wiring, that it'll have only 2 wires---1 ground and 1 hot. Is there a way around this? To rewire the switch would entail removing tile and cutting into the ceiling. I'm attaching a picture of the wiring schematic. Thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually you should have a Hot Ground and a Neutral, just sayin'

Ask a Question