Basement shower drain question

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a bathroom in the basement and was wanting to redo it and put a shower pan in, it has a shower but it uses a floor drain, and all videos iv seen seem to be having PVC pipe or something protruding up to connect to a showerpan, so I'm not sure how that works. The bathroom right now is bare ( concrete floor, cinderblock walls, toilet, sink, and the shower over a floor drain) also the drain is in a corner but it's a lil offset and I dont think the pre cut ones from home depot would line up with the drain, I haven't gave it much thought yet but I suppose that's all that's in my way is this drain...maybe just tile the whole bathroom instead, it's not too big

Reaction score
There are two types of shower pan, one which is flush to the floor and requires the waste pipe to be below floorboards.
The other is higher so the drain pipe can be below the pan but above a concrete floor.
It shouldn't be a problem to use the latter and to to stick some Polypipe into the drain and seal it with some silicone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You should be able to buy drains and tube extensions to allow you to raise or lower any existing tubing. You can find them in the plumbing section of any decent DIY shop. You will be limited by the lowest level of the tubing that drains the water out of the bathroom. Your drain can't be lower than this and usually needs to be a bit higher to work properly.

Ask a Question