Is it a bad idea to have low shower in basement ? Help me settle a debate

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help! Planning a basement remodeling project. My basement is already roughed in, but right above the shower is duct work about 7ft 1inch above the floor

Should I
1) install the shower with a 6foot10 inch height or
2) jackhammer the floor and relocate to a higher ceiling height of about 7 ft 10 inches. The floor to ceiling is 8ft in other areas

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Personally, I would not take out the floor...you'd have to take out 16", that is, 12" to reach the 7'10", and another 4" for the concrete slab.

REASON: Your 4" drain from the house to the city's sewer may only be 12" beneath the existing basement slab (floor) height.

Reaction score
Put in a shower in the basement that had the drain roughed in 40 yrs ago. Its on the low side, on a 4 " raised floor to facilitate the drain. We're vertically challenged in my family, no 6 footers, and there is nothing bad about the low ceiling. I suppose it all depends how tall the users are. But as noted, unless it's the only option, I'd stay away from ripping up the floor. But once you do it, then its done. I guess the answer is how much work do you want to do but be aware of where the drain height is.

Ask a Question