Back Boilder Help please!!!!

abu

Reaction score
Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Hi

I have just bought this house which as a BAXI Bermuda 401 back boiler and need some advise regarding it please

firstly when I go to switch the heating on the water heats up too??? and it gets really hot !

secondly the boiler is fitted in the chimney in the living room. and it has a box made around it (with plaster board and a vented door) is this ok?

also it does still have the old fire place attached to it but its not being use and cant be used as it has this box made around it, am I right in thinking as the fire place is not being used then there is no need for the ventilation thought the main walls of the house.

any help would be great.

thanks
Abu

Reaction score
You probably have a Gravity HW, Pumped CH system. Most of these have no control of HW except the time switch, and such simple systems cannot have the CH on without the HW. It is usually possible to add a motorised valve and cylinder thermostat to prevent very hot water.
You can also turn down the boiler stat with some effect.
>>>>>>>>>Regarding the air supply -
I believe your back boiler is a CF (Conventionally Flued) unit (i e it uses a 'chimney'). It therefore MUST have ventilation to provide air for combustion. The first 7kW of gas input can be ignored ("adventitious" ventilation - ie draughts - can cope with that) but any input over this (and you should include the input of any other CF appliance in the house) must be provided with a non-closable air vent, sized according to ( i i r c) BS
6798, Clause 12, and BS 5440:2. I'm sorry, I can't remember all the details, as I'm now retired from the heating business. (Try the Baxi website to download boiler instructions). E and O E. (Canalman).

Ask a Question