Attic Rafters on Floor Boards Flush with Roof Sheething, How to Vent?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to install lumber on end cross ways to the joists to raise the level of the attic floor and make room for more blown insulation before laying floorboards again for storage. (will also be replacing drywall below the insulation). Thinking it through like a good boy, I was going to install baffles between the joists so that the raised level of insulation didn’t block air flow to the soffit. However, per the two images included, I noticed the rafters are attached directly to floorboards which themselves are butted up against the roof sheathing allowing for no air space between the rafters to the soffit. I see no way for air to circulate into the soffit and this seems wrong to me.

It's hard for me to tell if there has been a problem with moisture in the attic due to lack of venting but there clearly had been a roof leak at one time. The bedrooms below the attic are gutted apart from the ceiling and the metal roof looks new; both look to be in response to the old leak rather than related to trapped water vapor. The property has been vacant for a couple of years at this point and seems subjectively dry, perhaps there is a way I should objectively measure that?

It's hard to see exactly what is going on under the furthest floorboard, but what little insulation there is blocks any airway that may exist between the joists to the soffit. The only attic ventilation I can find would be two small vents at the gable ends. What’s a DIYer to do? Should I somehow create air channels to the soffit under the end floorboards? Because of the span I'm thinking about sistering the joists to add strength anyway, perhaps there's something to be done there for venting when tying those in?

Attachments

Ask a Question