Antique Piano Lamp with separate switch NOT on socket

Reaction score
Hello,

First post on forum.

I have an antique piano floor lamp. It has a separate rotary switch from the socket. I have two black wires coming from the switch - identical. I have hot and neutral wires coming from the socket. Then there is the new cord with two wires. When taking it apart, the wires were so twisted and mangled and mutalated, we cut everything off, except the switch - we gently untwisted it. Now we are not sure how to retire. We had put hot cord to hot socket with one switch wire. We put the neutral cord, neutral socket and second switch wire together. It tripped the breaker - not trying again without help. I thought there were only two wires with each wire nut when we disassembled. I looked everywhere online and did not find a single thing about how to wire a lamp with a separate switch, so please help...

Thank you!

~Teresa~

Reaction score
Teresa,

Next time you get froggish, remember to take a picture first. :)

Lets start with the power cord from the wall to the lamp, is it a black, white combination?

If so, black would go to the supply side of the on/off switch, White would tie to all of the other white wires.
A second black wire would go from the switch to the hot side of the socket, The negative side of the socket would go to white.

Where is the second switch coming from and what is its purpose?

Reaction score
Well, Don, I should’ve. It was difficult to separate the parts, without cutting the wires. The wiring was so gnarled and shredded - it was just a hot mess. I did lay each part out on the floor in the order they were removed, any Brownie points for that?
B9F8EA52-E080-4140-BD26-71BA617CBA46.jpeg
What was throwing me is I thought there should be a negative wire going to the switch as well. I understood that the switch is what breaks the circuit, but still.

There is only one switch...

Thank you SO much for your help!!!

~Teresa~

B9F8EA52-E080-4140-BD26-71BA617CBA46.jpeg

~

Reaction score
I don’t know why the picture posted twice. I had some smiley faces too, which sets the tone...

Anyhow, I put a giggly fave after “Well, Don, I should’ve” and a laughing face after “any brownie points”...

Ahhhh, iPhone emojis don’t work on here...o_O

Ask a Question