Air Compressor & Brad Nailer Queries?

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an air compressor / brad nailer as a gift.

Most of their work is outside and I know you shouldn't really use an extension lead with an air compressor, I'm trying to find out how many 18 gauge nails you could fire with a 6 ltre compressor before having to go and refill it .... Ii know the brad nailers only need about 4 bar to work.

It's that trade off ... if it's too often you may as well use a hammer and nail and if I go larger i.e. 24 ltre, whilst you'd obviously get a lot more shots they're much more cumbersome to move around, making it a lot more difficult when it does need filling and possibly deter from even getting it out in the 1st place.

Any help if anyone knows appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You are correct about the avoidance of extension cords on compressors. I would get the person a longer air hose, and keep the air compressor near an outlet, without the necessity of an extension cord.

REASON:
1) Unless its a temperature compensating air compressor, the use of a compressor in the sun vs shade will produce varying output air pressures....this can be a nuisance to go keep adjusting the regulator depending on outside air temp.

2) While this isn't a huge benefit, the longer air hose will provide more air volume to the compressor.....similar to having a larger tank on the air compressor. Less cycling ON/OFF of the comp when nailing.

Ask a Question