Air Compressor Replacement

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I came home to a hot house. Looked at the thermostat and it showed 80 degrees when it should have displayed 75 degrees. I did hear my air handler was running so I then went outside to find the compressor was not running. Back into the house to the circuit breaker box only to find the outside compressor circuit breaker was tripped. I then reset it and still no A/C pump running. Called for service and was told the compressor had an internal short. The unit is a ICP 5 ton system. The service tech had to order a new one but, because the unit was less than 3 years old, the compressor would be covered under warranty. Hearing that was a big relief to my ears. At this point I was under the impression that replacing the faulty compressor would also be included. I ended up having to pay him $1365 to finally get the A?C working again. It was almost two weeks without A/C in the Tampa area. Of course, we were getting near record temperatures each day without air. One of the things I did notice was right before coming home we had a servere thunderstorm with golf ball size hail along with very high winds. I do have a Zap cap system that is supposed to prevent surges getting to my major appliances including the A/C. I have already put into a claim to a third party company that our local electric company, TECO, contracts with for the warranty coverage. They will be coming out to inspect the whole house unit for any spikes and surges before they will even consider the claim. I read the warranty and they do not cover any claims due to a lightening strike. I am sure, if it did get hit, there would be burn marks along with other componennts of the unit burnt out. Sorry for the long text but is $1365 a reasonable repair bill for the work performed. Of course, the repair needed all new freon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not an expert in HVAC repair costs, but $1365 for replacing a faulty compressor and repairing the A/C system seems reasonable considering the circumstances. It's fortunate that the compressor was covered under warranty, which helped alleviate some of the financial burden. However, it's important to have a thorough inspection of the entire unit to determine if any additional damage was caused by the thunderstorm, as it could potentially impact the warranty claim. I hope the inspection goes well and that your A/C continues to work smoothly to keep you comfortable in the Tampa area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
$1365 is the NEW (sugg. retail) price of a single home compressor not including installation fee, for a 5-ton.

Ask a Question