3 way dimmer switch does not turn on every time

Reaction score
Just replaced 3 way toggle switch with 3 way dimmer switch. With brightness to the max the light turns on every time. With the brightness on the lowest the light sometimes does not turn on. Happens with both regular bulbs and LED dimmable bulbs. Have replaced the dimmer switch and it does the same. Light always turns off. When light does not turn on and I leave the switch in the on position I can increase brightness control and light will come on. Light does not flicker. Dimmer switch does not completely dim the light. Same problem occurs when using the other 3 way toggle switch. Dimmer is a Leviton. What am I missing?

Reaction score
When you say three way, do you mean three gang or is it part of a two way switching circuit?
One of the main problems with dimmers or lamp timers is that with no neutral being used, they rely on a small leakage current through the lamps to operate correctly, hence the specified minimum load. Not all loads are the same. The easiest is a filament lamp, purely resistive - the most difficult is a complex load like an LED or an electronic transformer.
I had a similar problem when I replaced three CFLs with three GU10 LEDs - the LEDs would not operate correctly. The only answer and a poor one, was to put one of the CFLs back. Some dimmers are not compatible with all LEDs. I had huge problems with a Lightwave RF dimmer and LED loads. I used the LEDs recommended (Aurora) but it still flickers, does not dim very much and I would never buy another one. It seems pointless to buy low energy lamps then have to add another load to get the dimmer to work.
With the two way switching, I eventually got a neutral to it and came up with a complex circuit that switches all loads and the three LEDs are back. Some manufacturers like Timeguard now offer an add-on device to overcome the problem.
If you still get the problem with say 60-W filament lamps, then the problem is with the dimmer or wiring. Maybe put the three way switch back and start again

Ask a Question