Replaced ceiling light fixture but now light stays on, dimmer switch doesnt turn it off

Reaction score
I replaced an old ceiling light fixture with a chandelier. The ceiling box has 4 wires: ground, white, black, and red. I connected all to corresponding colors except red (was not connected in old setup) I left capped off.

The dimmer switch used to work for old fixture but after replacing fixture, the new light is on but doesn't turn off and dimmer switch doesn't function.

Details: switch panel is a two switch setup (see pic) with Left switch (Lutron Maestro MAW-600) controlling the ceiling fixture I replaced and the Right switch (Lutron Maestro MAW 603) controlling the hallway lights (which work fine even after new ceiling light installed).

The picture with ceiling fixture shows my index finger (leftmost finger) pointing to fixture cables and my middle finger (rightmost finger) showing outlet box cables.

Please help!! I feel like this is something really simple I'm overlooking, and I don't have much electrical experience but am determined to figure it out!

Attachments

Reaction score
Using the white or ground , measure the voltage on the black and the red . One most likeky is hot all the time & the other a switch leg . Conect the new lite to white & the switch leg .

Always take photos before you disconnect wires .

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
Thank you Wyr for your response! I tested voltage and both red and black wires are constantly hot, and the switch does not turn either of these hot wires on or off. So maybe my switch is burned out? I will buy a new one, but not sure how to hook it up correctly. The previous owner had a weird set-up with the black screws of each dimmer switch connected to each other (please see pic). Also, the red wire was not connected in one of the switches. Should I just reconnect everything how it was before (that set up somehow worked on the old light fixture)?

Reaction score
The Lutron Maestro MAW-600 is a 3 way dimmer . There should be a 3 way switch some where at a different location . Paired with it .

How many wires to it ? Did you mess with it ?

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
So the MAW-600 controlled the ceiling fixture I replaced, 3 wires to it (ground, black, and grey). The other switch (MAW-603) in the same box has 4 wires going to it (ground, black, grey, and red) and I believe is connected in a 3-way setup to control hallway lights, with another switch at other end of hallway controlling same hallway lights.

The only thing I changed in the switch box was I connected the switches green ground wires to the copper wire coming out of the box. It was not connected to it before, the two green switch wires were connected to each other though.

Ask a Question