Disconnect & reconnect breaker box in soon-to-be replaced shed

Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing my rundown shed with a slightly larger one this spring.

The existing shed has a breaker box that my pool pump and heater are connected to. I'm trying to figure out if I need to hire an electrician to disconnect and reconnect the breaker box or if it's something that I can do. My electrical experience is limited to wiring electrical appliances and new light fixtures.

I'm considering two scenarios, and would love to hear feedback on the DIY first option.

Scenario 1: Cut the power to the breaker box and then remove it from the the shed wall but keep it connected to both my house and the pool equipment. I carefully dismantle the shed and build the new shed around the box and then secure it to the rebuilt wall. Can anyone walk me through — or point me to a description of —the process to unmount/mount a breaker box?

Scenario 2: I have an electrician come out, and not only remove the breaker box from the shed wall but disconnect from it the pool equipment and the power line from my house. I dismantle the old shed and then build the new shed and have the electrician come back and reconnect everything.

Reaction score
Here in the UK, before January 1st 2001 you could do pretty much anything you liked regarding domestic electricity supply, now you can't do much more than change a plug. I doubt if anyone on a message board would want to tell you how to do it, if you aren't qualified.

You might be best to isolate it from the house consumer unit, pull down your old shed build the new one and get an electician in to reconnect it to a new consumer box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, before January 1st 2001 you could do pretty much anything you liked regarding domestic electricity supply, now you can't do much more than change a plug. I doubt if anyone on a message board would want to tell you how to do it, if you aren't qualified.
Here in the UK you are still allowed to do whatever you want, as long as you are competent and can do it safely. Some work is notifiable under the Building Regulations. Some work is unlikely to be within the competence of most DIYers, usually in the areas of design and most of all testing, but obviously there will be exceptions.

The key issue is competence, not qualifications - there are no laws or regulations which require the latter.

But from the terms he uses, my guess is that mrzeigler is in North America, not here, so who knows what the laws are there.

Some things though are pretty universal...

My electrical experience is limited to wiring electrical appliances and new light fixtures.
IMO that tends towards indicating that this job is too big for you right now.

Cut the power to the breaker box and then remove it from the the shed wall but keep it connected to both my house and the pool equipment. I carefully dismantle the shed and build the new shed around the box and then secure it to the rebuilt wall.
Very bad idea - you risk damaging the cables, the breaker box, putting a strain on the connections. Full disconnection, making the cables safe, then re-install and testing is the way to doit.

I have an electrician come out, and not only remove the breaker box from the shed wall but disconnect from it the pool equipment and the power line from my house. I dismantle the old shed and then build the new shed and have the electrician come back and reconnect everything.
Much better idea.

Reaction score
Here in the UK you are still allowed to do whatever you want, as long as you are competent and can do it safely. Some work is notifiable under the Building Regulations. Some work is unlikely to be within the competence of most DIYers, usually in the areas of design and most of all testing, but obviously there will be exceptions.

The key issue is competence, not qualifications - there are no laws or regulations which require the latter.

But from the terms he uses, my guess is that mrzeigler is in North America, not here, so who knows what the laws are there.

Some things though are pretty universal...

IMO that tends towards indicating that this job is too big for you right now.

Very bad idea - you risk damaging the cables, the breaker box, putting a strain on the connections. Full disconnection, making the cables safe, then re-install and testing is the way to do it.

Much better idea.

I'm pretty sure the OP knew what I meant, he was obviously not an electrician so he "couldn't do whatever he wanted."

I suggested getting an electrician in, (it would be the safest option) which really your long multi-quote post going all round the houses to end up suggesting the same, was the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question