Replacing switch with a dimmer in a 3 way installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Trying to install a dimmer switch but the arrangement I have is quite tricky so though I will ask for some advice.
So the lights in my house can be controlled via multiple switches.
I have 2gang 3-way switch in the kitchen to control kitchen and living room lights.
I have 2x 1gang 3-way switches in the living room - one controls the living room light and one controls lights on the stairs.
and there is another 2gang 3-way switch on the stairs to control lights in the living room and on the stair.

I know that I can't have more than 1 dimmer in the setup or it will flicker.
Since the living room dimmer is most crucial I would like to replace one of the 1gang 3-way switches in the living room.

- Can I also replace another 1gang 3-way switch in the living room (the one which controls the stairs light) or will it flicker?
- The 1gang 3-way switch in the living room have 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors while the dimmer has only a single L1 and single L2 plus ground. How should I wire it?
- Anything else I should be aware of?

thanks for all the help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without getting into the wiring between switches, a couple of points to note:

1) If you have a dimmer in a multi-way switch setup then the light will come on at whatever brightness the dimmer is set to, even if you've turned them on at a non-dimmer switch, so if it isn't the level you want you'll have to go to the dimmer to adjust it.

2) You can have more than one dimmer. Yes, regular ones will flicker, but master/slave ones are designed to work in multiple locations.

Ask a Question