Worcester boiler leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The boiler has been dripping for some weeks now and due to the corona virus. I don't think British gas will be out for some time. I managed to get the cover off and found where the leak was coming from had a look on YouTube and found it was a common fault on the Worcester boiler and the leak was coming from the flow sensor. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? It doesn't look to be too difficult

Reaction score
Hi
The boiler has been dripping for some weeks now and due to the corona virus. I don't think British gas will be out for some time. I managed to get the cover off and found where the leak was coming from had a look on YouTube and found it was a common fault on the Worcester boiler and the leak was coming from the flow sensor. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? It doesn't look to be too difficult

We had a Worcester boiler, for fifteen years.

One of these.

P1000078.JPG

A golfing pal who is a boiler engineer says they are over-complicated and once you start taking bits off and putting them back again, they are prone to leak. Over the years we had a lot of trouble with it, regardless of whom we got to repair it.

He changed ours three years ago to an Ideal and it's been perfect.

Have you contacted British Gas? I wouldn't start messing with it, particularly if it's under contract. When ours leaked I just put a bowl under it until it got repaired..again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks for the reply. We did indeed contact BG and they were suppose to come out on April 9th but have cancelled this now. I have no idea when they are due to come out again. I do agree with not touching it myself but I am getting fed up with the trays that are required to catch the water. I note your comment about removing parts that then cause others to leak as unlike a heating engineer I will not have a supply of the extra parts should they prove faulty also. The boiler is now 14 years old

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the reply. We did indeed contact BG and they were suppose to come out on April 9th but have cancelled this now. I have no idea when they are due to come out again. I do agree with not touching it myself but I am getting fed up with the trays that are required to catch the water. I note your comment about removing parts that then cause others to leak as unlike a heating engineer I will not have a supply of the extra parts should they prove faulty also. The boiler is now 14 years old
That looks a bit of a beast!

After fourteen years, it might be time to go for a new one.

That can present some cosmetic problems. Our new one is much smaller.

I managed to turn this.

P1000773.JPG

Into this.

Nothing's ever easy, I had to make the pelmet detachable as the front of the boiler has to swing down for servicing.

P1030756.JPG

P1000962.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally got the boiler fixed after months of bucket emptying. I am glad I posted here for advice as the whole manifold needed changing and if I had attempted the repair and failed the boiler care would be invalid
Cheers for the good advice
Dave

Ask a Question