Wood post for security light

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello woodworkers! I need a couple of 20' wood posts for security lights but can't find any new or used treated poles. I'm thinking to make them from 2x4s and 2x6s in a column with overlapping pieces. Start with (2) 2x6x12' with (2) 2x4x8' screwed together into a column. The post would be 5.5"x6.5" wide. Then join (2) 2x4x12' and (2) 2x6x8'. Alternating the lengths would allow for a 4' overlap for strength when joined. The boards would be screwed together with 2.5"-3" screws. The opposing boards should help the pole remain straight.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any feedback appreciated.

Reaction score
How about looking at old Telegraph poles? Possibly not at 20 Feet? local to you, power Companies or Telephone distribution ?

Any Saw Mills near you?? They may have a tree trunk that would work?

Or a second hand Flagpole??

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ken, I haven't checked with the power company about poles but they do install security lights for no cost upfront but then charge about $30 per month forever. It's worth checking if they have old poles.

I don't want to use a 4x4 or 6x6 post because I'm worried it would warp over time. I'm thinking that building the post from multiple boards would prevent warping.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ask a Question