Wiring a dual fan/light switch

Reaction score
Replaced ceiling fan with a fan + light, and after wiring, only the light would come on. Also bought a dual light/fan wall switch. I wired the ceiling fan white/white, green/green, black/black/blue, and capped a red, all as shown in first photo. Wall switch (which was fan only previously) had a black, red and ground as in 2nd pic. Finally, the new switch has black, red, green, and blue as in 3rd pic and I am unclear how to wire these to the wires in 2nd pic. The diagrams and instructions don't describe each color wire. Needing help, not sure if I'm able to use new switch or must revert to old one and use pull string. Was not able to get either old or new switch to work. Any help appreciated

Attachments

Reaction score
It looks like it was pre-wired to be able to control the light and fan separately. You should have a feeder wire probably black ( so two black wires in the wall box. I would guess the black wire from the switch is the common (power in) and the red and blue wires are power out. If that is accurate, connect the black live wire from the switch box to the black wire from the new switch. Connect the red to the red and the blue to the black going to the fan (You may need to reverse this, I can't tell from the picture which wire is supposed to control the fan and which controls the light). The green wire is the ground. Separate the wires in the fan and hook them up red to blue and black to black (blue is the light kit power and should be labeled as such, I usually assign the red to the light and the black to the fan but either is fine as long as you remember what you did). Also if your fan has a pull chain you need to engage it, they are usually in the off position from the factory. You definitely will want to break the light and fan from each other to avoid dimming both the light and slowing the fan simultaneously.

Reaction score
That worked, thank you! It just needed the 2nd black (power) wire in the wall connected. I only connected one black assuming it would power both

Thanks much!
Boomer

Ask a Question