What hobby would you like to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think it will be the electronics that send cars to an early grave and it's the electronics not so much the mechanicals that now prevent DIY. Fuel injection too has mostly replaced carburetors adding to the complexity. Times move on and although I like electric motors for their sheer reliability I've never liked anything battery powered; will modern electric cars too head early to the scrap yard once their battery needs replacing; it's possible in years to come a new electric car battery if at all available will cost more than the car is worth. Cars are heading the same way as white goods head now; why replace a washing machine circuit board costing £100 plus call out when a brand new washing machine can be bought for £200 with warranty; this is current thinking and the way to save the planets resources. We recently paid £286 for a new "special" battery for our Skoda Yeti it having the stop/start function; the battery needed coding to the car so it was a main dealer job; in my early twenties I owned my own garage business but since buying our first brand new car I've not even dipped the oil for many years and our Yeti is main dealer fully serviced/maintained.

Out of interest when our last washing machine broke down it was going to cost in total around £130 for the repair so I stripped it for parts and sheet metal then we bought a new Beko at under £200; this was over ten years ago so if this Beko decided to die on us it owes us nothing; it's a reliable cheap basic machine and has proved a lot more reliable over machines costing twice as much that only lasted five or six years.

https://ao.com/product/wtl82051w-be...utm_content=aud-948191371650:pla-321138450145

This morning I had my third attempt at pyrography;

Pyrography_0001_03.JPG

I'm improving all the time; I resized the cat picture and printed it off without problems then used graphite paper to add the main features to the plywood with the result seen. I'm still using the fine writing nib which is proving rather difficult to control over the ply grain but I'm happy so far and in only three attempts I've gained a lot of experience. I'm struggling with shading and fine lines for fur. It's only just above freezing outside today with a heavy frost last night; I want to get into the workshop then I can make spoon type nibs from the good stock of resistance wire I've bought; I'm not in a hurry although I'd like to get into the workshop soon.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question