What choice for a shed floor please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shed is on it's way, I have now got the floor timbers down and nNow I'm in a quandry. What type of floor please?

OSB puts me off as I fear any edges I cut could fray. Could I use bitumen for them, also for the surface and under surface? Bitumen, Yuk, must needs must.

Plywood? Expensive? Again what to put on the sides and surfaces (top and under) for preserving?

I have got some Ronseal wood and shed preserver. Any good would you think?

Anything else but ply or osb?

What would you suggest, I need your comments and suggestions please

Keep well.

Reaction score
How long do you want your shed to last?

This was the floor of my "shed" I built in 1987. I painted everything with Cuprinol.

06_10_0.JPEG

It's half inch roofing ply. I don't think it's worth using anything less durable.

06_10_1.JPEG

I used the same ply for the sides and back. It's still in perfect condition 33 years down the line.

P1060523.JPG

Whatever you use get your shed six inches off the ground, so it gets good air circulation under it. It'll stay dry and last longer

Mine has 9" "skirts." attached to the base on three sides. but finish two inches above the path.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A very impressive shed Doghouse and as usual excellent advice offered. :)

I used 6" x 1" tanalized boards for both my garden hut floors. The boards did shrink leaving gaps but a piece of cushion floor covered the gaps and gave protection allowing fuel and oil spills to be wiped away.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used OSB3 (note the '3') that is specifically for external use. The underside and edges I coated with bitumen and the top with large thermoplastic tiles bedded on bitumen. It was still going strong after 19 years, when we sold the house and moved. The same was done here when I built a new shed 9 years ago and that is still going strong.

Colin (t'other one).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OSB 3 it is then. I thank everyone for their help.
Alan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking more about it, I bought the OSB3 with one side already coated with a thick layer of bitumen. It was being sold as roofing OSB. It might still be available like that.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, I bought bitumen and coated it myself. Nasty stuff, Iam sure it works.

Ask a Question