What can i do to make gates for an uphill drive.

Reaction score
Hi, I need to put some kind of gates over my driveway, also fence off my garden as I am having a lot of trouble with neighbouring students coming onto my property when they are out of their heads.
The trouble I have is my drive just tightly fits our 2 cars, there is no room to have gates that open inwards, they can't open outwards as they would be across the pavement. I have found that there is such a thing as folding gates! but they seem to cost hundreds of pounds, then I thought of these riser hinges but someone has told me these would not be any good for me either because of the slope of my drive! My drive is about 8 inches bigger all the way around than the 2 cars when parked in it, it goes upwards towards my house in a slope. At either side of the drive is a small wall about 2ft high which cannot be removed. I just want to put some protection between the street and my house.
My neighbours have a flat drive, no slope so they are lucky and they have all put up gates because of the trouble we are all having. Another neighbour has made some kind of makeshift gate from pallets that he puts up every night but he is a good handyman and he also has a flat driveway. Can anyone think of what I could do to fence off my drive at night once we are all home. Many thanks, Caz x

Reaction score
Is it possible to fit standard gates and matching posts but mount the gates with a 9"+ clearance from the ground to clear the incline? of course it would mean a considerable gap under the gates when closed but it may well do the job,
Tony.

Reaction score
Is it possible to fit standard gates and matching posts but mount the gates with a 9"+ clearance from the ground to clear the incline? of course it would mean a considerable gap under the gates when closed but it may well do the job,
Tony.
Thanks for your reply Tony, but even with a 9 inch gap how would I open the gates when the cars are on the drive as I wouldn't be able to open them inwards as they would just hit the cars!

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Tony, but even with a 9 inch gap how would I open the gates when the cars are on the drive as I wouldn't be able to open them inwards as they would just hit the cars!
Sorry, I overlooked that detail, you do have a problem and my last suggestion would be some sort of removable gate/gates unless someone else out there could come up with a alternative?

Just a thought, what area do you live OR could you supply a photograph of the problem area as this often helps?

Regards, Tony.

Reaction score
Is there room for a sliding gate that slides sideways along the front of the property(inside the fence)?

Reaction score
I am with Marc, I would suggest trying to install something that slides sideways, which is actually easier than it sounds, and they could be installed along the back of the wall so that they're not visible during the daytime, which basically means you don't ave to use anything fancy for the gates themselves.

Reaction score
Is the area you are protecting completely fenced in and if so how high is the fence ? I know of a case where the person installed a Automatic overhead garage door.

Reaction score
I agree with marc if it is possible to put a sliding gate in the try to do so, hope all goes well :)

Reaction score
Hi, I need to put some kind of gates over my driveway, also fence off my garden as I am having a lot of trouble with neighbouring students coming onto my property when they are out of their heads.
The trouble I have is my drive just tightly fits our 2 cars, there is no room to have gates that open inwards, they can't open outwards as they would be across the pavement. I have found that there is such a thing as folding gates! but they seem to cost hundreds of pounds, then I thought of these riser hinges but someone has told me these would not be any good for me either because of the slope of my drive! My drive is about 8 inches bigger all the way around than the 2 cars when parked in it, it goes upwards towards my house in a slope. At either side of the drive is a small wall about 2ft high which cannot be removed. I just want to put some protection between the street and my house.
My neighbours have a flat drive, no slope so they are lucky and they have all put up gates because of the trouble we are all having. Another neighbour has made some kind of makeshift gate from pallets that he puts up every night but he is a good handyman and he also has a flat driveway. Can anyone think of what I could do to fence off my drive at night once we are all home. Many thanks, Caz x
RISER HINGES, in your case its the only and simplest way, just take them off (the gates) and put them back on whenever needed, depending who fits them they can be set up to take a lock/chain/bolts/padbolt, whatever locking method you want as in normal gates, I'm very surprised this idea hasn't already been put forward, the hinges can also be drilled to take a split pin etc which you can remove at will, just for added security and peace of mind, trust me it IS that simple and the only real answer to your request, sliding gates would be to complex and expensive for your simple needs, so please check them out before dismissing AND its a cheap fix, Tony.

Reaction score
you have to think in terms of a rise and fall hinge as th door/gate opens it rises and closes automatically with the natural weight with metal gates you insert a plate at the bottom long enough to lift the end from the drive and normal at the top it may look odd but it works as a standard rise and fall hinge

Reaction score
you have to think in terms of a rise and fall hinge as th door/gate opens it rises and closes automatically with the natural weight with metal gates you insert a plate at the bottom long enough to lift the end from the drive and normal at the top it may look odd but it works as a standard rise and fall hinge
Well "hook on" hinges then, it's the only answer without going to great expense, they are usually welded on but can be drilled and screwed on to the posts, I really don't see any other way, they can be easily stored and can be fitted with any locking device required, otherwise this whole post is going to to get far to technical to be practical, it's not rocket science is it, the lady wants a simple suggestion hopefully not costing the earth to stop people having a free run of her garden etc.

Reaction score
Hi Caz, Did you ever solve your problem with the gates?

Reaction score
Hi Tony, no i'm still gateless.....ive had the little shits who live around here come into my garden and around the side of my house and steal a car battery that I had hidden there, but hard luck to them as it was dead haha. Then someone came along a did a karate kick and kicked my electric wing mirror off my car, i'm sick of it all and I lay awake just waiting for the next thing to happen. I've contacted the police over 30 times and nothing at all gets done, they give me they usual blah blah blah and off they go marking down that they have done their job. I am sort of on edge when I go to bed at night waiting to hear the next noise from outside.
I can't put on gates that open outwards because I would just totally block the pavement off, but I did wonder if there is actualy a type of gate that would open outwards and swing completely full circle almost and I could clip it open until I need to shut it in the evenings. I am not very good at explaining but where you push the gate open onto the street and keep pushing until it goes backwards onto my garden wall, the wall on one side is about 4ft hight but that would be fine just to clip the gate open to.

Reaction score
Hi Tony, no i'm still gateless.....ive had the little shits who live around here come into my garden and around the side of my house and steal a car battery that I had hidden there, but hard luck to them as it was dead haha. Then someone came along a did a karate kick and kicked my electric wing mirror off my car, i'm sick of it all and I lay awake just waiting for the next thing to happen. I've contacted the police over 30 times and nothing at all gets done, they give me they usual blah blah blah and off they go marking down that they have done their job. I am sort of on edge when I go to bed at night waiting to hear the next noise from outside.
I can't put on gates that open outwards because I would just totally block the pavement off, but I did wonder if there is actualy a type of gate that would open outwards and swing completely full circle almost and I could clip it open until I need to shut it in the evenings. I am not very good at explaining but where you push the gate open onto the street and keep pushing until it goes backwards onto my garden wall, the wall on one side is about 4ft hight but that would be fine just to clip the gate open to.
Your idea of the gates folding back against the wall is, in my view a winner, why didn't I think of that, I think you've solved your own problem, this IS a easy fix, there are many hinges on the market that will fold back on themselves so DON'T let anyone tell you any different.

Without giving to much away are you anywhere near Birmingham? if so I would gladly show you how this works with NO commitment and certainly NO money involved, just for the satisfaction of seeing it succeed, but obviously if you have someone to do the job for you that you can trust 100% all the better, its simple enough, make a pair of simple gates, attach hinges then attach to wall/post,

Let me know what you think, and don't be fooled by anyone claiming this is a "big expensive job etc etc".

Reaction score
I've seen this problem before google this and a myriad of many types of hinges are available fo all drives

Ask a Question