Water in My Wood Heatilator Fireplace

Reaction score
House built in 1991 with Wood heatilator installed. 7 years later water in the fireplace started. Chimney repointed. Another 7 years and more water. Changed chimney cap. Changed chimney cap a second time. Struggled along for another 7 years. Water ingress pooling in fireplace. Chimney repointed and two gallons of waterproofing. $3,000 and no improvement. Contractor then said problem was the seal between the vapor barrier and chimney. Siding removed and new vapor barrier sealed to chimney with a clear caulking. $2,500 and no improvement. Contractor sent a chap around to fix it and he adjusted the flashing and caulked around the flashing to make a seal. $200 and no improvement. With a good rainstorm and a NE wind I will have to bail a gallon of water out and get up through the night to prevent water flowing out on the family room floor. There is one covered outlet from the air chamber to the outside of the chimney and it appears to be in good condition. To my untrained eye everything looks ok. Any advice would be very much appreciated

Ask a Question