Mango wood table - water stain repair

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fiancé has a mango wood table that is looking a little worse for wear, I suspect from water staining. I was planning on sanding it with an orbital sander with medium and fine courses, then apply wax to it (or oil, if better).

However, I've not refinished a mango wood table, nor am I sure if this would solve this sort of damage. I'd be grateful for any opinions on what you think may be a good solution, based on this photo:

IMG_20210913_211802.jpg

Reaction score
Ian, I would go for it. Sand through the stains and give it a couple of good coats of oil. It can’t hurt anything and can only improve the appearance. The only concern I have is be sure to use a fine grit paper if you are going to use an orbital sander. I prefer an inline sander when working with wood.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ian, I would go for it. Sand through the stains and give it a couple of good coats of oil. It can’t hurt anything and can only improve the appearance. The only concern I have is be sure to use a fine grit paper if you are going to use an orbital sander. I prefer an inline sander when working with wood.
I'll have a go at it this week I hope. I don't think I have an inline sander unfortunately, only an orbital - but I'll check with some friends nearby as you're totally right and would be better on the grain.

Will post some pics once I've got a result :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before sanding I would try fine wire wool with meths to try and remove all of the existing finish. Or maybe even varnish remover if that doesn't work.

Basically I think it would be good to get all of it back to bare wood, and then see how the different areas look compared to each other.

And consider hand sanding rather than machine.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If when it's back to bare sanded wood, if you have no "hard-edged" patches it's possible that a light stain might make it look like natural figuring, then you can wax it.

Ask a Question