UPVC Window Draught

Reaction score
I have recently bought a house, which one window seems to be the source of some draughts.

The window is a normal shape - rectangular (horizontal orientation), with the opening a full height on the right hand side, which is rectangular (horizontal orientation).

The window takes the prevailing wind, so it shows up any problems - and there are some.

The draught appears to be mainly at the bottom edge of the window - and slightly up the sides.

All the plastic work seems straight and true, but the bottom seems to have less impression on the seal than the top - when closed, almost like the opening part is tilted slightly.

So I thought - I'll replace the seals around the opening, so got a few sample packs and went for the biggest (within reason) that would fit to work around this, but it's not done all that much - anyone else seen a problem like this?

I am under the assumption (looking at other bits in the house) that the previous owner had work done by total planks and on the mega cheap!

I'm after some ideas that are simple for now, as I will look to replace the unit over the next year.

I've found this quite hard to explain, so if needs be I will post more info, maybe photos / diagrams.

Cheers

Ian

Reaction score
Hi Ian.
It could be a couple of possibilities. If the draught is between the frame and the plaster/brickwork have you check the sealing on both the inside and the outside. If the draught is between the frame and the opening casement it maybe the hinge on the window. You can try fitting a new hinge on the window which may resolve the problem, but bare in mind you need to get the right hinge and also it may have broken due to the frame being poor quality, which in that case you may benefit from a whole new window. if you are confident at DIY you could easily replace yourself. I used this website called "windowforce.co.uk" before and it tells you everything you need to know about measuring and fitting your own windows.
Hope this helps

NWH

Reaction score
Hopefully you will have already sorted this problem, but if not northwesthardware.co.uk stock a wide range of window hinges, and our Technical Help page shows you how to measure the hinge to make sure you get the right ones.

Ask a Question