UPVC window won't close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently moved into the house and want to sort out one of the bedroom windows before it gets cold. I have checked across the diagonals of the frame and these appear okay also ran a spirit level and the window frame appears to be level. something appears to have gone skew and the previous owner has run insulating strip across the left hand side and top to attempt to stop draughts. The locking pin on the LHS is hitting against the window frame thus stopping the window from shutting. I have checked the position of the hinges on both sides and they appear to be in the same position on the frame. I cannot see any means of adjusting the window so I can lift up the LHS. There is a larger gap down the LHS of the window and also along the top on the LHS. Does anyone think the double glazed unit has dropped in its casing?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally got round to sorting this out and thought I would share what I did in case it helps anyone. I have been in the process of painting the house and had my mini scaffold in front of the window so was able to remove the window from the frame. The movement was very stiff when operating the window and what appears to have happened is someone forced the window which resulted in the hinge on the LHS of the window buckling slightly. I removed both hinges straightened the LHS hinge using the jaws of a large vice and mole grips etc. Then thoroughly cleaned and applied silicon to both hinges and now the window is working as it should be. To tackle this a person inside and outside is required

Ask a Question