UK regulations for fireproofing ceilings in flats.

Reaction score
In a house with 4 flats, what are the fire regulations for fireproofing over existing ceilings?

I've had a quote for 2 ceilings and he said its just single thickness 12.5mm plasterboard.
Is he right?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi

This is one where we have to be very careful. The building regulations are quite strict with conversion flats.

I really would suggest a little chat with building control of your local authority before you do anything. they are usually very helpful, and would advise on this type of work.

Reaction score
Hi

This is one where we have to be very careful. The building regulations are quite strict with conversion flats.

I really would suggest a little chat with building control of your local authority before you do anything. they are usually very helpful, and would advise on this type of work.
I'm worried that if I do, they will want to see the place. I want to do this at my pace with no pressure. Is there anywhere I can look to find out what is mandatory?

Reaction score
Hi. the reason I gave you that answer is that I'm being cautious. Obviously I know nothing about your individual flats and their construction. If you were to carry out any work that should have been notified, even if done correctly, you may have committed an offence simply by not notifying them.
also a lot of regs are open to translation, something that can only be decided by Building Control. As I say I'm just being cautious !

Having said that, in most cases the use of Gyproc Fireline board and a plaster skim would be OK.

To merge this with your other post, as the subject is basically the same. I did wonder if someone in the flat below had installed recessed down lights, obviously cutting holes in the ceiling. I really can't think of any sensible way of fireproofing a floor from above, your project repeated in the flat below would be the way forward. Not an option I'm sure !

Reaction score
Thanks John,

I have spoken to the flat below and they are willing to get the ceilings done at the same time. I heard somewhere I should think about smoke proofing the floors with 8x4 sheets of hardboard. Seems a bit excessive to me. Should I consider this option as well?

Reaction score
That's good news with the flat below. I wouldn't bother with the hardboard, it's not the best of materials anyway, and may cause other problems in the future, especially if access is needed for pipes or cables.

M

MattH2904

It definitely not 1 layer of plasterboard. At least 2 and suggest 15mm fire line board with joints taped and filled. Below this should be a suspended ceiling with a void capable of housing services such as ventilation, extract, electrical cables and water.

I assume the structural is timber if concrete just a suspended ceiling with 1 layer is fine.

Ask a Question