Tub faucet won't twist, has no set screw. Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our bathtub faucet is probably the original (1972!!!) and the diverter is pretty useless so we need to change it out.

Can't find a set screw, and it doesn't budge AT ALL when we try to 'unscrew' it.

Question: If we took a wrench to it, are we in danger of cracking the wall tiles? Hurting the pipe?

There is not grout around where the faucet meets the wall (see photos -- apologize for low light -- took w/ laptop).

Any suggestions to another approach?

Thanks for all kind replies!

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does unscrew, id try a piece of cloth wrapped around and try with my hands if not a pipe wrench will work but will destroy it. There's a 1/2 inch pipe thread female end on the piece so the pipe may come with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does unscrew, id try a piece of cloth wrapped around and try with my hands if not a pipe wrench will work but will destroy it. There's a 1/2 inch pipe thread female end on the piece so the pipe may come with it.
Thanks. I know it unscrews, technically, and of course we tried gripping it with gripper items, but I meant it literally: it does not unscrew. Meaning, doesn't budge. Not a movement. So it sounds like whoever undoes it, will be taking the pipe with them. Kaching. :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it may be wise to spray a strong lime scale remover at the rear of the faucet first, followed by some wd40 and wait 24 hours before trying some thing more drastic?

Ask a Question