Threaded Elbow Direction

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for all the questions, but I've thought of something else that I want to check before I start on the project. I've got all of the parts that I need (for this), so I ran through everything and came across a snag.

I have a 1" BSP male connector on the end of the pump, to which I'm connecting a 1" MxF screw elbow joint. However, when I screw on the elbow joint tightly, it's not facing in the direction that I'd like!

How can I make sure that the elbow screws on so that it faces in the required direction? Here's a picture similar to the elbow I have (attached):

1 inch elbow.jpg

Reaction score
Hi spork
I did say you were in at the deep end ! The answer is really the amount of PTFE tape that you use. You need enough to get the thread quite tight before you get to that stage. A little tip - instead of standard PTFE get some gas thread tape, it's a lot thicker. There are other products, but It'll get more confusing.

Reaction score
It's a good learning experience :D!

Thanks for the advice John, that makes sense. I'll add the PTFE and then see how it looks, I guess it may take a couple of goes to get the angle correct.

Ask a Question