The Worst Tool Ever Invented

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Vise grips can do this, but they also serve a very good purpose too. If you must try to remove this, try heating the blue surrounding metal frame with a torch (preferably acetylene over propane). This will cause the blue metal to expand a few thou" with hopes to permit the bolt to "crack" loose.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A DIY person that doesn't know better than to use vise grips probably doesn't have propane much less acetylene.

Vise Grips still wins the worst tool invented prize.:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You actually hit on the problem in your first sentence there.

There's nothing wrong with Mole grips, as we know them here. As ever the problem is misuse. If someone had had at that nut with a hammer and cold chisel would you say they were the worst tool(s) invented?

Pump pliers?

Stillsons?

Reaction score
I repair these;

9090.jpg

Without my vice grips the job of removing dents etc from these highly polished works of art would be very, very difficult. It's sometimes the user, not the tool...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I repair these;

View attachment 4001

Without my vice grips the job of removing dents etc from these highly polished works of art would be very, very difficult. It's sometimes the user, not the tool...
Would you elaborate how vise grips are used to remove the dents. Maybe I and auto body shop personal have missed this and it's never too late to learn.

Ask a Question