Temporary ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I've had some of my ceilings down last month due to damage to artexing (containing asbestos) so I currently have temporarily vaulted ceilings in my bathroom and upstairs hallway. Having the ceilings removed has produced some problems I wasn't expecting. I assumed the ceilings had been put up per room so I could replace the plasterboard and and get a good seal on each room by just replacing each plasterboard sheet, but it appears the ceilings had been put up before the inner walls and so where they've removed parts of the ceilings the plasterboard sheets in adjacent rooms have lost some of the fixing positions and one has started to crack on the wall running parallel to the bathroom. There are also gaps above the door frame and at the adjoining walls of the bathroom and landing which I'm concerned about sealing effectively. I had planned to do the work myself but I've been looking into trades people in the last few weeks as I'm not sure if I can guarantee no air and moisture gaps in these troublesome areas. Plasters in the area have become difficult to hire due to scheduling and material availability and I'm worried about the temperature dropping quickly as winter sets in and pipes bursting without the ceiling and insulation.

I'm considering putting up temporary ceilings to get through winter and allow me enough time to research and plan the best method to replace the removed ceilings and repair the damaged parts. I was thinking kingspan and a vapour barrier below the joist. Do you think this will be sufficient? As a temporary measure?

Ask a Question