Teflon Tape

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All

I've always used Teflon tape on brass males on thee water supply, when connecting braided water supply lines for sinks and toilets. Today I installed a braided supply line for a new dishwasher and in the instructions for the supply kit (after I installed of course) it said don't use pipe sealant as the female end has a washer. Every supply line I ever installed has a female end with a washer inside. I read sealant to include Teflon Tape unless the actually mean a caulk like sealant. Regardless in Teflon Tape an issue?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was understanding that Teflon tape (AKA pipe dope) is used on NPT (National Pipe Thread). These threads are tapered, and their fittings do not seal by seating themselves onto a gasket/washer. As the NPT is threaded together, it tightens upon itself. I have those braided hoses in my house too. They are brass, but I don't think they are NPT, rather, their a straight thread where the male fitting mates upon the washer in the female fitting.

Reaction score
When I have a fitting that is not sealed like an NPT taper, it makes sense not to get tape onto the sealing surface, like a waly use sher. However I general use some teflon tape on any other treads just to make the going smoother, not so much to provide sealing. I think its OK so long as you don't get tape onto where the actual seal is happening

Ask a Question