Storm Door Lockset Issue

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 36" Larson Storm door to fit a standard 36" exterior entrance door. All was going fairly smooth until I started on the lockset assembly install and closed the door to identify the areas to mortise for the strike and deadbolt. The handle rubs the inside of the door jamb and the thumb turn for the deadbolt will not turn because it's tight against the entrance door jamb. The only way I see this working and to route out an area for the handle and thumb turn but I really don't want to do that............do you typically have to modify the jamb to accept the lockset to make it functional?

The storm door frame is mounted on the brick mold and I believe that is a standard installation method.

Reaction score
I think I'll remove the door and rip about 3/8" off the hinge side brick molding to allow the clearance for the handle and thumb turn for the deadbolt.

Thanks

Ask a Question