Sockets in a loft?

Reaction score
I am converting our loft into a guest room with velux windows in, I already have lighting up there but need power sockets.
Could I break into the socket cable on the 1st floor and take it up to the loft via a junction box?

Reaction score
Hi baggy1975

You could provide an unfused spur from the ring circuit as you suggest, but it can only supply one double socket. Any more than one would be better supplied by extending the ring, or a complete new circuit.I have to question this project though, as a loft conversion is subject to building regulations approval, and the electrical installation will form part of the application.

Reaction score
could I take 1 double from near 1 socket and another from another and so on?

Reaction score
You could do that, with limitations. But wouldn't it be easier to extend the ring, that way you are only taking two cables up, and avoiding the use of junction boxes.

Can I suggest that you look up the design of domestic circuits, and the regulations that apply. I'm trying to be careful that my advice does not get used to provide a dangerous situation, or a contravention of regulations.

Reaction score
Had another thought.....

I could use one of the spares on our consumer/fuse box, its on an exterior wall and I could come out of that and go up the outside wall and into the roof. That way i could have about 8 double sockets up there.

Does this sound a good idea and is it easy?????

Reaction score
Hi
I've been answering you in very broad terms, as I've no idea of the existing circuits, the circuit protection, where you propose to run the cables, your ability to work with electricity etc.

I have to say, as I've already indicated, this work would come under the building regulations, and is notifiable.

To explain all you need to know to carry out this work is far beyond a forum. You really would be advised to get professional help on this part of your project. A registered electrician would carry out the required testing, and certify the work for you.

Please bear in mind that safety is vital, and a loft can be much more of a fire risk than elsewhere in the home.

There are one or two books available that deal with DIY electrics, have a read, I'm sure they would explain some of the regulations, and the correct procedures to enable you to take the best course of action.

As for your later posts, it's quite possible to run outside in conduit. The Marbo thingy - This circuit would need RCD protection anyway, and may involve replacing the consumer unit.

Ask a Question