Uk sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm just changing over some damaged plug sockets (uk). I need DP due to regs here and I ordered a few 2g but now they've arrived I see there's just one earth terminal instead of the 2 I'm used to. Is this a problem, have I ordered the wrong thing by accident? Should all three wires earth wires go in that one terminal? I think it's just an old fashioned way of doing things but as it's electrical I just wanted to check first.
Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sockets usually have only one earth terminal. Have you got 3 cables, i.e. 3xL, 3xN, & 3xE conductors, or 2xL, 2xN, & 3xE? If the latter, and one of them is not just short connector to the back box then you could have a dual-earth circuit, for high-integrity or clean earth reasons, which would need special sockets and also would beg the question where is this?

"DP" in the context of a socket would mean that the on/off switches are double pole, nothing to do with earthing.

When you say "I need DP due to regs here", what regs, and where is "here"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just realised/remembered via one of your other topics that you work in a school.

If that is where you're replacing sockets, please don't. The Electricity At Work regulations impose a legal requirement for you to know how to do it

No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.

Please (really) don't think I'm saying this to score points, or put you down, or to play the big-I-am, but if you're having to ask questions like this on a DIY forum I don't see how you can have the right knowledge and experience.

Asking for help here with electrical work in your home is one thing, but not in the school where you work. Sorry.

Ask a Question