Small Garden wall repair.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I need to fix my garden wall after bumping into it with the car (supprisingly no damage to the car).
And I feel that bricks and mortar are a little above my diy skills.
And I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on whether these quotes I got are overpriced, one saying 2 days and 900 quid and the other saying 1300 which seems mad.
received_243255870588391.jpeg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are those quotes for rebuilding the entire wall with new bricks, or just fixing the damaged with existing materials where possible?

I'd try posting the job with that photo on somewhere like https://www.ratedpeople.com/ or https://www.checkatrade.com/ and see what the online quotes come back with.

I wouldn't have expected anywhere near that, nor can I see why they'd even suggest 2 days of work, unless I've misunderstood the scope of the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Ian. I had garden wall done with 4 posta and 6 mtr long 1mtr high. Including materials and taking away rubble… cost me £1500. Because of my shoulder problems I couldn't do it. But trust me… your wall can be built by DIY.. Skill.

Reaction score
The brickie I use would do that in half a day or less for a ton. It would save you a bit and make the job look more attractive to a tradesman if you either already had new bricks to use, or "snobbed" off the existing bricks ready - i.e. remove the mortar so the bricks are ready to lay. A lump hammer and a bolster chisel are usually used for this but for those few you could probably do it with a narrow cold chisel. Or, if you have it a brickies "scutch" or even a small axe. Google for a video to see what I mean.

(I can no longer DIY this as I've done in both rotator cuffs, otherwise I'd have DIY'd it in a day)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I the mortar is not so strong a mix, the pillar bricks can be recovered using a bolster and club hammer. If the are cleaned up a good bricky would have back together in a two one hours periods. When he has done half the height, that to be left to set before adding the rest of the courses.

Ask a Question