Pop-up Lawn Sprinklers for Small Gardens.

Reaction score
Doing a bit of computer tidying I came across these photos.
i put these in some years ago. They run off mains pressure. They are only suitable for small gardens like ours, if you've reasonable water pressure. I put them in one afternoon. Total cost about fifty quid. Can't say they are used that much, but certainly quite often last summer.

This was the "dry run," Well...Wet run, to make sure they would work. The supply has to be midway between the two heads to balance the pressure.

P1020979.JPG

Just a case of taking out six inch deep wedges to install the speed-fit pipe.

P1020982.JPG

a recycled central heating valve controls the flow. I had bit of spare sand and cement, to remake the path over the supply pipe.

P1020984.JPG

You can adjust the heads to miss out a section. Here, the spray doesn't hit our teahouse.

P1020987.JPG

They've worked perfectly every year, despite not being used for months at a time.

The "how to" is in the write up of the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nicely done :). I really wish I had done the same thing in our garden.

We've got oscillating sprinklers built in at one side of the garden (hidden from view) and they work well, but only cover 70% of the lawn. It's generally fine, but the other side does get very dry in summer.

How low do the heads go? I'm guessing it's no problem with a lawnmower?

Reaction score
Nicely done :). I really wish I had done the same thing in our garden.

We've got oscillating sprinklers built in at one side of the garden (hidden from view) and they work well, but only cover 70% of the lawn. It's generally fine, but the other side does get very dry in summer.

How low do the heads go? I'm guessing it's no problem with a lawnmower?
No problems, I've a flymo, even on the lowest setting it just glides over the heads.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Doghouse Riley :).

Does frost cause any problems? Last year we had quite a few things in our garden get damaged with all of the cold weather (cracked hose reel - even though I thought I'd drained it, cracks in sprinklers, etc..). Hopefully with popups being underground they'll be insulated a lot more.

Reaction score
All the ipework and unions etc. are plastic. Speed-fit pipe is ideal it's much more resiiant than a garden hose. Also when it's turned off, the sprinkler ends are "open" so any expansion of the water inside can be accommodated nd as you say being six inches below the surface of the lawn, there's some insulation from the earth..

Ask a Question