Shower Pan Unlevel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I installed a shower pan (fiberglass) by imbedding in mortar. It somehow settled in unlevel. Very unlevel. Like 1/2 inch off. Here are my options (as far as I know and accompanying concerns...

1. I can access the low corner from other side of wall and drive a shim. If it raises, the mortar will crack and no longer provide a firm footing. Also concerned that shim will damage shower pan

2. I can remove the shower pan and re install it. This seems the most labor intensive and discouraging since I’m doing it all over again. I worry about damaging the pan in removing it and leveling it with existing dry mortar it was imbedded in...

3. do nothing. 1/2 inch isn’t that bad. Rock on.

What other options and thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Personally I'd bite the bullet and try removing the tray.

If you damage it, a new one might be only about fifty quid. Then you'd be able to get the job done properly and permantly.
If it costs you fifty quid and you're still using it in say five years time, you'll have forgotten about the money.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Use a multi tool to separate the tray from the embedded mortar with the longest blade possible. Once you’ve done that, use a thin, rigid, long piece of metal to hammer the rest of the shower tray off. Once removed fully without damaging the tray. Properly level the mortar and rebed

Ask a Question